How ya like me now?

Once seemingly comfortable girl i appeared...
I have learned a few life lessons.
Naivety is a luxury I can't afford to waste.
Beyond growing up is finding out just who you are.
When you come to terms with that reality...
Beware of what you may find.
I took my journey through times of rebellion.
A selfish person I became,
Feeling like the world owed me everything.
There was nothing I had to struggle to gain.
Through my "best years" i partied hard...
Just to maintain my popularity.
But now I see the truth in life,
The best I can be is me...
Whatever that may mean in my crazy head...
I struggled to understand.
I had to find out what separated me,
From the "Barbies" in high demand.
What made me challenge society
and embrace individuality.
I chose..
To be happy with who I am...
With who I want to be....
And most importantly,
Who I've been.
I embrace my mistakes of the past,
As lessons of life well learned.
These slaps on the wrist got my attention,
Believe me, my epiphany's been well earned.
So I'll accept my standing ovation,
And I'll kindly take my bow,
Because I know you're proud of me...
I wonder How ya like me now?